Monday 22 February 2016

Simon Says...

It has been a long while since I've found time to get involved in a game with any real interest, life has taken priority as it usually does sooner or later. But I got gripped by a game I'd heard nothing about recently, and what a pleasant and familiarly warm feeling it left with me. A game, that if I'd read about, I'd have probably turned my nose up at - it's indie, it's arty and it's 'an experience' - ie It isn't Marcus Fenix fucking shit up for 8 hours with an explosive chainsaw machinegun on fire in a vat of blood and guts...

The game in question is Firewatch. Made by Campo Santo, self proclaimed as "A small but scrappy video game studio in San Francisco". And boy are they, they've come out of nowhere (queue John Cena) with a banger of a game. Striking art style and performances from voice actors accompanying a fantastic story...

Hey, are those Crows?
...Yeah ok, you're wondering when I'm gonna get to the bit I don't like... ...Well, keep wondering, because this game blew me away.

Honestly, I've not even finished it yet, and I've purposely chosen to write this piece mid play - it's not a long game I don't think, and could be finished in a single sitting if you're into longer movies. I'd estimate 3-4 hours and i'm a good 2 hours in.

So what's it all about?

You begin with a text based story, portrayed over beautiful imagery and colours settings moods and tones, you make open choices that result in frankly I think the same outcome either which way, but it grips you instantly, the plot is compelling without wanting to give too much away, you're a man, you meet a wife, you have a happy life together, you make choices and have hurdles, like you would anyway. Then something happens, it results in you wanting to escape life and move to the middle of buttfuck nowhere (we've all been there right? - says the guy that moved to buttfuck nowhere this year). This is where the gameplay begins, and the visuals step the fuck up to the plate, and finish their dinner before hitting a home run. The graphics I can only describe as the pixar story boards coming to life in an interactive and exciting first person view. Gorgeous forest landscapes with photo worthy sunsets, waterfalls, and weather.

Your mission? Live in a Firewatch Tower, alone. Sounds shit? I guess it would be a bit... ...but you have a single point of contact - a radio - an intrinsic part of the gameplay, and your only plot device in an otherwise tranquil get away to beauty.

I won't discuss the plot beyond this as this game is very much an experience, imagine trying to explain Forest Gump to people without telling them what happens throughout the film, and basically you have a retard on a bench waiting for a bus. It doesn't do it justice, and that's what I'd struggle to do.



Trying to find the closest Kebab House was the most realistic mission in the game for me
All I will say is that this game has been an amazingly pleasant experience, well worth the £19.99 on steam, available on PS4 and Xbone too and well worth a look, especially if you're not usually into these sort of games - it has action, suspense and a thriller plot to grip even the least interested gamers. A real quality piece that does the games industry a massive justice for once.

Here's hoping Campo Santo produce more as they certainly have a fan here.

*Due to the work going into producing this site, i've not had time to doodle this game this week, in fact, I'm late writing this piece - but i will doodle something and add it in later!*